Green Heart, The University of Birmingham
Type: New build
Partner: Willmott Dixon
Willmott Dixon created a striking new 12-acre parkland – ‘Green Heart’ – in the centre of the University of Birmingham’s historic campus. Great Heart provides a unique space for performances, socialising, meeting and studying while enabling views across the whole campus as originally envisaged in the 1920s.
The space enhances the setting of the buildings which border the Green Heart area including the new library and benefits from new pedestrian and cycle routes which allow students, staff and visitors to travel safely and with ease.
The University undertook a wide public consultation to ensure local ideas are incorporated into the scheme these include:
- A range of wildflowers and native plants, 160 new trees, water features and nesting sites
- Space for markets, performances and events, including a grass auditorium and outdoor cinema
- A new café and bar
- Use of energy saving technologies, zoned lighting and energy generating paving
- Improved signage and access to information
- Dedicated areas for art, sculptures and the University’s collections
As a corporate partner to the University of Birmingham School, Willmott Dixon developed parts of an enrichment and community engagement programme. It introduced pupils to construction and to the wide range of careers within the industry and has gone from strength to strength in the last couple of years – now accredited by the Industrial Cadets, a scheme endorsed by HRH Prince Charles, the Prince of Wales.
- Incorporation of 160 new trees and other wildflowers and plants to create a parkland habitat
- Use of innovative energy saving technologies
- Dedicated areas for art, sculpture and University collections
- Creation of a community engagement scheme to introduce pupils to construction
Watch the project video to learn more: