Client: Birmingham City Council
Duration: 127 weeks
This project was a co-location of a 420 place Primary School (Coppice, with a90 place SEN School (Langley) on the site of the existing Coppice School. Brick, render and cedar was used as cladding and a zinc roof selected following a detailed whole life costing exercise. The site is located in a protected woodland and extensive took place to ensure planning permission was granted.
Environmental strategies were developed and implementated regarding, birds, bats and other wildlife species on the site. The building is designed to be naturally ventilated with passive night time cooling via automatic louvres and utilising termal masses of the building.
Benefits for our Client:
– Value Management and Value Engineering utilised identifying in excess of £1.8 m of savings.
– Appointed at feasibility stage meant complex phasing and decant considered from the outset.
– Phasing planned to bring forward key outside play spaces to better the environment and facilities through construction
– School interaction -fed into curriculum based teaching opportunities
– Achieved BREEAM ‘excellent’ rating
– Whole life costing used to select materials
– Sustainability- passive night time cooling
Contractor: Thomas Vale Construction